Saturday, June 25, 2005

The Lord Weird Slough-Feg have come for your children

Every summer I come upon a band that I fall in love with and obsese about them daily. Four summers ago it was Zero 7, three summers was the Incredible Expanding Mindfuck, last summer was Iron Maiden (tad bit too late), and this summer is the Lord Weird Slough-Feg. However, I always either get in the band far past their prime or they are European and come to the states almost never. Not the case with Slough-Feg.

If you see me walking down the street with my ipod you'd probably never guess I'd be first in line for a Slayer or Cattle Decapitation show. To say I dress 'trendy' and 'feminine' would be an understatement. Yet, while I have changed, my love of metal will never falter. However, finding decent metal bands nowadays is very difficult as the market has become saturated with wanna be death metal bands and metal-core bands just making noise. I just want awesome guitar solos and kick ass double bass drum action. Lyrics aren't that important, but still need to be relatively interesting. So when a band combines those two and creates a concept album about space and genetic engineering humans into bipedal dog I'm sold. I love concept albums which explains my love of King Diamond and Iced Earth. And they are playing at the Bug Jar July 14th for 6 bucks. Life cannot be grander. Combine this with a band I feel in love with three summers ago, Pretty Girls Make Graves, is also coming down to Rochester in august. I feel like a school girl and want to scream all giddy.

In other news work is getting interesting. At first I didn't really like the job as it was boring and mindnumbingly stupid. I was just looking at numbers and organizing them and not really using my skills. Yet now I'm doing statistical work, writing progress reports, signing up for conferences, reading past papers on similar subjects, etc. I'm really starting to enjoy it and the more I talk about it, the more in love I am with it. Its going to help me immensely once I start looking for graduate schools, especially if we can get it published before next spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home