Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Carnage Fucking Carnage


IMG_0203
Originally uploaded by Pmartino.
On my trip home this weekend for the Bocce tournament I finally picked up my flash card reader so I could upload the pictures I took of The Lord Weird Slough Feg show two Thursdays ago. I can also review what was a pretty decent show.

Crucifix was the first band on the bill. They are a local death / thrash metal band whose songs reminded me very much of Morbid Angel and Death. Fast, furious, and fucking heavy. My problem with a lot of newer death metal bands is just that they only focus on being heavy and throw away the thrash death metal needs. Changing tempos every 30 seconds does not make a quality track. Back to Crucifix though. The band's leader singer is fellow WITR DJ for the Heavy Metal show on Saturday night who actually told us about this show. This may make my interview a bit bias but they were a decent enough opening band, good for head banging, and didn't out right suck. Sadly I wasn't able to buy a demo CD and get a better taste of them since they left after we went to the ATM for cash.

Bible of the Devil was the next band. I assumed they were going to be straight thrash or a similar combo ala Crucifix before I heard them. Figuring I might as well hear some tracks before the show I downloaded a few and wasn't pleasantly surprised. They have a very AC / DC sound, duel guitar driven heavy metal. They also have a similar theme to AC / DC in their songs are about drinking, girls, kicking ass, and just being men. They started the show off with Guns, Germs, and Steel a song based off the book and the now PBS documentary. The song was long and awesome and I knew I was in for a great night. The lead guitarist was amazing with a fantastic stage presence and he definitely fed off the crowd that was very responsive to them (especially since this was most people's first time seeing them). The guitarist's parents were also in the audience. This led to an interesting tidbit when for their last song they were trying to figure out what to play. I yelled out Fuckin' A, one of the few songs I actually knew, to which the guitarist told me not to swear in front of their mother. They played Fuckin' A which was awesome. Combine this with the bassist laying on the ground floor and playing on his back on top of me. Why? Who knows.

The band I've been waiting for a month to see finally came on stage, The Lord Weird Slough Feg. I was not disappointed to say the least. They are definitely an interesting band and fit the stereotypical looking metal band. But there is a reason metal will never be big and its due to the flat out ugliness of metal bands. None the less, they make up in talent what they lack in looks, and the show proved this. Playing some of my favorite tracks - High Passage / Low Passage, Baltech's Lament, Eumaeus the Swineherd, Sky Chariots, Traders and Gunboats, Asteroid Belts, the Final Gambit, the Wickerman, and one or two more. I was hoping for Avatism, I Will Kill You / You Will Die, and Vargr Theme but I cannot get too picky. Sadly the temperature was horrible and Slough Feg ended the show what seemed to be a bit early. I also took almost no pictures and the ones I did were way too zoomed in to be of any worth.

Following the show I bought some merch - a sweet Slough Feg shirt, Travler, and Bible of the Devil's latest. Overall I give the show a 8 / 10, could have been better but it was good enough to be worth the ten bucks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home